The family blog of Kristian, Catherine and Hugo

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Patty & Selma Eat Your Heart Out

I've been into Macgyver cooking lately (yes, what a great term!).

It's basically what our mothers did nearly every night for dinner - they took ingredients from the fridge and pantry and threw them together to concoct a great or 'interesting' meal, using a good dash of trial and error (is that even allowed these days?).

It feels insanely liberating to cook without a recipe. Almost rebellious. The process is creative and inspiring and makes me think about flavours, the matching of flavours, all those new possibilities and the herbs that sit in our pantry waiting to be more frequently used (bay leaves, corriander seeds, etc).

In this experimental frenzy we've had grilled peri peri chicken with delicious salt & pepper sweet potato chips; quinoa & polenta with garlic tomato lentils and roasted herbed vegetables; and a yummy garlic, parmesan, white wine and lemon risotto with grilled chicken breast. And it's only been three days!

Anyone have any other homemade suggestions?

In other headlines.... we met with another au-pair today and I reeeeally like her. I hope she likes us too. I will suffer from immense issues of rejection if not! Unfortunately the two we met before her didn't work out. I did a little bit of snooping and know that this new au-pair has met with two other families, one of which she doesn't like, so we have a 50% chance... I should find out tomorrow :)

Also read this article, which presented a great point about last week's abandoned baby drama that I blogged about earlier in the week.

And hello... I'm soooo onto the global village vibe of things - came across the term 'word of blog' today and it reminded me of this blog entry....

SO, what's new with you?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The whole Baby Catherine thing gets under my skin. Whenever you hear the awful stories about teens or whoever dumping their baby in a garbage can or worse and leaving them with very little hope of being found everyone is always quick to say 'why didn't they just take him/her to a hospital and drop them off?' The way the media went out of control over this story would for sure scare any young or scared new mum or dad from making the right...well better of the two, choice. I think reaching out to the parents of this baby girl was a good thing just to be sure they didn't make a rash decision that they would regret, but the awful way the mother was attacked via headlines was pretty disgusting if you ask me.

In saying that I don't agree with ditching your baby anywhere, but if someone was scared and didn't know what to do then the hospital front isn't the worst choice they could have made.

11:25 pm

 
Blogger Catherine said...

I totally agree with you!

2:59 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home