The family blog of Kristian, Catherine and Hugo

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

secret song-list

don't we all have them?? those corny and shameful songs you only listen to in the privacy of your room or with head phones on. and i'm not talking about those retro songs that actually are cool - we're talking major pop artists who the 'common folk' listen to. who knows why we associate superiority and class with such a subjective and emotive thing. the more popular a song is, the more uncool it seems to be to like it.

i think i actually lost a friendship when an uber-cool "rock star" friend of mine caught me off-guard, not listening to the presets or van-she and instead indulging in sugar snap, crackle...

but anyway, it's past midnight. hugo and kristian and asleep in our bedroom. kristian and i have argued over putting a "secret" pull-up nappy on hugo while he sleeps (me no, him yes) and i'm now staying up late for work, getting organised during this sweet silence and breaking it to listen to some of those scandalous sounds to keep me motivated.

and what exactly are those songs??

mariah carey, unplugged album: soooo good for dancing around the house and singing to, while waving your right arm up and down

whitney houston, i have nothing: do we really need an explanation for this one? it's a song karoke dreams are made of.

ne-yo, sexy love: this reminds me of being a teenager, holding unreciprocated crushes and daydreaming of being in love

ben e king, supernatural thing: dad loved this artist and we'd play his tape all the time at home. it was my first choice for housework, which (angelina as my witness) i spent most of my teenage years doing. it also reminds me of my dad's motorbike dance, which i'll happily demonstrate to any fool who asks... preferably to this song

janet jackson, that's the way love goes: am i detecting a teen-theme here? this was my favourite song when i was a teen. i choreographed my first routine to this tune and can still remember most of it. it reminds me of staying up late, dancing for hours in our family lounge room and the simple joy i got from doing it

luther vandross, don't you remember: i love this classic, poignant love song, it reminds me of the music my parents listened to when i was a child and is an absolutely perfect lonesome, singalong song

flamingos, only have eyes for you: to me, this is such an old-school romantic song. it reminds me of nights with billowing humidity, crickets, light summer dresses, the smell of aftershave and sweat...

ok, so anyone else want to fess up??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home