The family blog of Kristian, Catherine and Hugo

Sunday, February 20, 2005

First Chinese New Year

The following is conversation snippets from our family Chinese New Year yum cha feast:

"Excuse me, can I have a glass of lemonade please?" Andrew asked the waiter.
"No, later," he said and walked away.

***

"Catherine, look at that baby," Mum said to me in Mandarin.
"So ugly, no one's baby as beautiful as Hugo."
"Mum, you can't say that," I replied.
"Huh! Ay-yah, it's true, just look. You can always find many faults," she said.
"Ok, you're right," I slowly admitted.
"Hm. Your mother is always right. Also right in wanting more grandchildren. I give you 12 months. Fourteen months is also good. Yes."
"Mum, give me some time," I said.
"You just have the baby, I'll look after it," she replied.
"Gee, that makes it all better."

***

At the end of Kristian's sarcastic remark, a hearty laugh escaped from everyone's lips, with the exception of Esther. No longer preoccupied, she suddenly turned to face him.
"What was it?" she asked.
"Nevermind, you've missed it," he said.
"That doesn't matter, tell me. I'll laugh anyway."
We all laughed again. That's typical of my sister.

***

"Catherine, I have a hom bou for Hugo," said Mum.
"Mum, please, you don't have to," I said.
"Rubbish," said Kristian. "Of course she has to."
"Yes, that's right. I'm his grandmother and this is his first Chinese New Year. You just take a picture of me, him and the hom bou," she snapped.
"Ok," I said. "But he hasn't mastered the art of gripping anything yet."
As soon as that sentence escaped my lips, my son betrayed my words and held onto his first object - a little red envelope filled with money.'
"Oh no!" I gasped.
"Haha, good boy," said Kristian. "Daddy's taught you well."

***

"Excuse me, can I have a glass of orange juice?" Andrew later asked a waiter.
"No! I give you lemonade," he firmly replied.
"Ok then."

***

Today was the last day of the Chinese New Year - may this one bring you all good fortune!

xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home